Mary Beth Peranteau
- Land use law, including real estate transactions, resolution of boundary disputes, quiet title actions, public dedication, annexation, restrictive covenants, homeowners association and subdivision law, environmental permitting and county and municipal zoning proceedings including rezoning, conditional use permits and variances.
- Water law, including pier and other navigable waters permit proceedings and dam regulation, riparian rights disputes and the public trust doctrine, and representation of inland lake protection and rehabilitation districts in regulatory and governance matters.
- Energy law, including the representation of local electric distribution cooperatives in regulatory compliance, policy and governance matters and member relations, renewable energy procurement and contracting.
- Specializing in appeals of administrative agency and lower court decisions.
Mary Beth Peranteau assists individuals, associations, businesses and local governments in matters relating to real estate, zoning and land use, property rights disputes and navigable waters law. Mary Beth also represents cooperative electric utilities in organizational and transactional matters, regulatory compliance and litigation before administrative agencies and in state and federal courts.
Mary Beth joined the firm as an associate in 1999 and became a shareholder in 2003.
- Lead counsel representing citizens in state and federal litigation to enforce Wisconsin’s public trust doctrine, resulting in a trial court judgment enjoining the sale of publicly-owned waterfront property for private, commercial use, in Friends v. City of Sturgeon Bay, Door County Case No. 16-CV-23.
- Represented Wisconsin’s largest inland lake protection and rehabilitation district in DNR proceedings and litigation spanning over a decade, including a successful Wisconsin Supreme Court appeal, leading to the modification of lake water levels to positively impact recreational activity, property values, tourism and other lake-related commerce and municipal tax revenues. Rock-Koshkonong Lake District v. Wisconsin DNR, Appeal No. 2008AP1523.
- Counseled numerous Wisconsin member-owned electric utilities in the development of community solar facilities and member subscription programs providing renewable energy credits to offset residential electric bills.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Guest lecturer, Riparian Rights, University of Wisconsin Law School Real Estate Transactions Course, September 18, 2017.
- Riparian Rights and Access to Navigable Waters, State Bar of Wisconsin Presentation “Get Off My Lawn: Handling Property Disputes,” June 3, 2016
- Conditional Use Permits: Strategies for Local Zoning Proceedings, 88:8 Wisconsin Lawyer, September 2015
- Rock-Koshkonong Lake District v. DNR: Public Trust and Agency Discretion Principles Intact, 87:3 Wisconsin Lawyer, March 2014
- University of Wisconsin Law School, JD cum laude, 1996
- Served as an Articles Editor of the Wisconsin Law Review
- Member of the Moot Court Board
- Beloit College, BS
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the State of Wisconsin
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- Admitted to practice in the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin.